Friday, April 28, 2017

Homemade Sour Cream Recipe

When I started making cheesecake, I didn't like using superstore's sour cream which is often loaded with guar gum, preservatives and modified food starch. So, I decided to make my own sour cream with just two ingredient - Heavy cream & Kefir.

I came up with this idea by understanding the sour cream's basic ingredients. A sour cream is meant to be sour and creamy, so kefir gives it sourness and heavy cream provides it the creaminess. I have successfully used this for baking cheesecakes and in linguine recipes. It tastes no less than supermarket's sour cream and it is of course healthy. Kefir is known for it's probiotic properties as it provides your system the goodness of good bacteria for your healthy gut.

Check how easy it is to make your own sour cream.

Recipe

1. Take one cup heavy cream and add a cup of milk to it. Mix well. 
2. Add organic kefir (buttermilk) or milk kefir grains. Mix well.
3. Incubate in cool and dry place away from direct sunlight for at least 30 hours.

The fermented sour cream can be filtered to remove water to get thicker consistency. However, I have used this sour cream in all my recipes and it turns out well. This can be covered and refrigerated for weeks.

~Ren

No comments:

Post a Comment